Don’t be too concerned if your pup is “off its food” when you first bring it home.Don’t immediately seek to introduce enticements to “stimulate” your pup to eat.
Why?Your pup is new to its environment.It may be too interested in the new place to be “bothered” with food; alternatively it may be too anxious about its new home (anxiety reduces appetite).It is a big change for your pup leaving its brothers and sisters and the home it knows, you just need to give it time to settle in.
Don’t suddenly change the diet.Why?It can take up to 3 days for a dog to produce the correct enzymes to digest new food, during which time it will only absorb the water content, leading to signs of diarrhoea/soft stools.Instead, gradually change your pup’s diet over 4 days following the procedure bellow.
Day 1: ¼ new food + ¾ old food
Day 2: ½ new food + ½ old food
Day 3: ¾ new food + ¼ old food
Day 4: new food
Fortunately, feeding your puppy does not have to be as complicated as it sounds.
Dogs like eating the some food for every meal, every day!!!
Dry food that are specially formulated for growth take all the guess work out of rearing a healthy puppy while providing a balanced and highly digestible diet (we use and recommend Advanced puppy for large breeds) that he/she will thrive on.The feeding regimen for you puppy depends greatly on his/her age and individual characteristics.Your puppy’s condition is the best indicator of whether you are feeding the correct amount. They will go through growth spirts and lulls and this will alter their food quantity requirement.
At the moment we feed our pups twice a day. As they get older we then recommend changing them to a once a day feed.
Which Foods are Harmful for Dogs?
Have you ever wondered if what you are feeding your dog or what your dog has eaten has the potential to harm it?
After doing a fair amount of research on this topic a list has been compiled of certain things that it is best for our four legged friends to avoid.Although this list covers a lot of various things it may not cover everything.
In the way of foods that have the potential to cause harm or in some instances ongoing health conditions or even death are:
Ham/Pork/Bacon/Turkey: Due to the high content of fat in these meats can cause Pancreatitis.
Chocolate: To most dogs it is Toxic and can cause convulsions which in turn can lead to death (Carob: is the safer option if you want to give your dogs a treat. As this is not related to chocolate, and are considered safe to feed to dogs).
Onions & Garlic:These in large quantities can cause anaemia (this condition is a lack of red blood cells and or haemoglobin).One onion or a small jar of Garlic is a large quantity. Occasional exposure to small amounts usually is not a problem however; continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat.
Grapes & Raisins:Can cause kidney failure. If your dog is susceptible as little as one raisin can be fatal to a 10lb (4.5kg) dog. A lot of dogs have eaten these without ill effects however probably best avoided.
Avocados (fruit, pith & plant):Toxic, can cause breathing difficulties & pancreatitis.
Caffeine:Can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpations& death.
Macadamia Nuts:Causes muscle tremor, weakness and paralysis.
Fruit pips, seeds:Are poisonous since they contain cyanide.
Liver (raw/uncocked):Can cause vitamin A deficiency
Dairy Food:Can cause pancreatitis, gas & diarrhoea
Cooked Bones:Once bones are cooked they become brittle and are easily splintered causing damage to the dog’s mouth, throat or digestive system.
Alcohol:Can cause coma and death
Hops:Can cause seizures & death
Citrus Oil Extracts: Causes vomiting.
It’s time now to move onto the garden, garden shed or garage and what plants / other things are harmful.
Antifreeze:Dogs are attracted to this so be sure to clean up any spills immediately as even a small amount of this is fatal as it attacks the kidneys and you dog would require immediate care from the vet.
Snail Bait:This is fatal to dogs. It causes vomiting & seizures. Seek veterinary help immediately if ingested.
Rat Poison: This too is fatal to dogs although it can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to kill them as it causes internal bleeding and will need urgent veterinary treatment.
A lot of dog owners believe that their gardens are safe however; it could have a potential source of danger for puppies/dogs.
Some of the most common plants are often the most deadly.
St. John’s Wort:This is a herbal plant but is very toxic to dogs leading to vomiting & seizures
Tomato Plant: both the stem and leaves of this plant are also toxic. It causes tremors and death.
Other plants that can be problematic are:-
Always best to fence the garden area off or to monitor your dog to see what it’s actually eating. Like most people you like your yard to look great but most would not like it to be at the expense of your four legged friend becoming ill.The flowering plants are usually the most deadly.
Some indoor plants that are harmful are: Cyclamens
These are dangerous for chew happy puppies.
Outdoor plants that pose problems are:
Oleander: Most people know this plant is very poisonous for humans and animals alike.
Lily of the Valley
Make sure your dog or pup does not mistake a bulb for a ball/toy
The list of bulbs below is all poisonous
Pets may only have a nibble or two but bored pets may chew themselves to being seriously ill or even death.
If you believe you pet has ingested a dangerous plant immediately contact your vet making note of the plant it has consumed if you know the name of it.Other wise take a piece of the plant with you to the vet as they may know what it is or to the vet may suggest you take it to someone at a local nursery to help in identifying it.
Always Remember prevention is better than cure.Make a list of the plants you have in your yard and house and keep your pets away from those you know to be potentially harmful.Hang indoor plants up high where they are out of reach and ensure that your pet can’t tug on overhanging leaves or tendrils to pull the plant down.
Also in your yard are common garden plants and grasses which can cause an allergic reaction in dogs these are: Wondering Jew, Paspalum and Rye grass.These can give dogs’ itchy feet and legs, as well as stomach rashes.
Keep your grass mown to prevent seeding, or keep dogs in a mowed area. Also whilst you are thinking about the garden keep in mind that animals are at risk from fertilisers and pesticides.Keep them away from areas that have been recently sprayed for a period of time allowing the area to dry completely.